There are a lot of things you can't control: the weather, the stock market, your neighbor's loud music. But many, many things are under your control, as pointed out by Lori Deschene. And how well you do at seizing control makes a huge difference in your health and happiness:
Right now, you can control:
1. How many times you smile today.
7. When you pull out your wallet for luxuries.
11. How often you notice and appreciate small acts of kindness.
17. The type of food you eat.
21. How much exercise you get.
22. How many times you swear in traffic. [I'd amend this to say that you can control how often you're in traffic at all. If you're swearing at traffic, chances are you are the traffic.]
27. The attention you give to your loved ones when you see them.
28. How much you enjoy the things you have right now.
41. Whether you formulate a new plan or act on your existing one. [this is my favorite]
44. Whether you smoke or drink. [unless you’re an alcoholic, in which case you are in control of whether or not you seek help from a qualified practitioner]
50. How much rest you get at night.